Tangledeep is one of the best roguelike experiences on the Nintendo Switch to date. With deep tactical combat, a wide variety of skills and jobs to learn, and a farming and crafting system for supporting yourself, there’s nothing quite like it available on the eShop. Even RPG fans who usually dislike roguelikes will find Adventure Mode very accommodating, as it removes permadeath and the stress behind most roguelike design.
We caught up with lead developer Andrew Aversa to ask him about a few questions about development of the game. Like most developers, Aversa has confirmed that the Switch porting process is very easy. Tangledeep has done remarkably well on the Nintendo Switch, which means the platform will be seeing the Legend of Shara DLC later on.
Right now, the developers are hard at work on the first patch to address some save file issues found by players. Somehow save files are getting corrupted and are unplayable until a fix is offered. We encountered the problem when playing the game for our Tangledeep review, so hopefully the first patch will be live soon.
If you haven’t played Tangledeep yet, be sure to check out our beginner’s guide to get started.
1. Tangledeep is a traditional roguelike, which are usually better controlled with a mouse and keyboard. However, the controls for the game are very intuitive. How long did it take to find a control scheme you were happy with for the game’s controller debut?
2. What made you target the Nintendo Switch as the primary console for release over XB1/PS4?
On February 11, the official Tangledeep Twitter account shared the news that the game had entered the top 10 charts on the Japanese eShop for download only titles. That’s a massive success for a game that has been out on the platform for less than a month.
3. We already know the game has been a great success for you in Japan, but how about worldwide?
4. How did your team and the idea for Tangledeep form?
5. Are there any mechanics you left out of the game that you wish you would have explored?
One controversial aspect of the game is that the developers were initially not very committal when asked whether the current Legend of Shara DLC would make its way to the console. I wanted to clear up any confusion and asked Andrew if we’ll be seeing the DLC on Switch.
6. Will the DLC for Tangledeep be coming to Nintendo Switch?
Legend of Shara is currently in Early Access on Steam for PC users and just got its first official trailer, which you can watch below.
7. Was the port from PC to Switch smooth for you or did you experience any hiccups?
8. Any advice for indie developers who want to see their game on Switch?
I’d like to thank Andrew for answering our questions about the development of Tangledeep on Switch. Despite some launch hiccups with corrupted save files, the game is worth it for anyone who enjoys tactical RPGs. I described the job system in the game in my review as being like Octopath Traveler squished into one character instead of eight.
Support Ninty Gamer
Enjoyed this review and want to see more? Buy your eShop credit through Amazon or Raise and we’ll get a small commission. We use the money to directly fund this site for more reviews and commentary for Switch fans.