One of the perks of Nintendo Switch Online is cloud saves for most Switch games. Unfortunately, there are a lot of games that don’t support the feature.
Save data on the Nintendo Switch remains tied to the console itself. The only way to transfer that data to a new console is to perform a Switch system transfer. Nintendo says the reason for this is concerns about cheating. The following games don’t support cloud saves on Switch.
Note: Some online games like Dead By Daylight and Fortnite have their save data controlled by the developer. These games don’t upload save files, but the data is still safe.
Games That Don’t Support Cloud Saves on Switch
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons* (see below)
- Asphalt 9 – Legends
- Blade II – The Return of Evil
- Bookbound Brigade
- Color Zen Kids
- DAEMON X MACHINA
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dawn of the Breakers
- Dead By Daylight
- Dungeon Stars
- Eternal Card Game
- FIFA 18
- FIFA 19
- FIFA 20
- Gems of War
- Go Vacation
- Jumanji: The Video Game
Games That Don’t Support Cloud Saves on Switch – Part 2
- Miniature – The Story Puzzle
- Modern Combat Blackout
- NBA 2K Playgrounds 2
- New Super Lucky’s Tale
- Nidhogg 2
- Overwatch: Legendary Edition
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee!
- Pixel Devil and the Broken Cartridge
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!
- The Raven Remastered
- Pokemon Sword
- Pokemon Shield
- Robbie Swifthand and the Orb of Mysteries
- Sid Meier’s Civilization VI (2K account offers cloud saves)
- Speaking Simulator
- Splatoon 2
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission
- Taimumari: Complete Edition
- The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution
As you can see, there are a surprising amount of first-party games that don’t support cloud saves. All of the Pokemon games, and Splatoon 2 do not support cloud saves on Switch.
What about Animal Crossing New Horizons?
Animal Crossing: New Horizons used to be on this list, but Nintendo finally added a way to back up your island. You can now backup your island for saves, but there is also an Island Transfer Tool for moving your island to a new Switch console. You can find detailed instructions for moving your Animal Crossing island here.
Thanks for supporting Ninty Gamer. This page contains affiliate links.